Following the recent bombings in Brussels Belgium by ISIS terrorists, Donald Trump and U.S. Senator Ted Cruz have issued inflammatory diatribes that could potentially impact Muslim Americans in our nation.
Ted Cruz called for Muslim-American neighborhoods to be patrolled by law enforcement and Republican Candidate Donald Trump proclaims that American mosques ought to be policed.
These statements are reminders of what Adolph Hitler transformed into horrific policies against the Jews in Nazi Germany.
These are the xenophobic rantings of demagogues who seek to stoke the fears of hyper Americans against Americans of a different religion who are citizens of the United States of America.
These statements reek of the stench of fascism and racism and certainly play strongly among the racist and Islamaphobic elements in our society.
The fallacies of their statements are the following:
- There are no Muslim-American neighborhoods
- Muslims are socially and ethnically diverse
- American Muslims live and work as productive members of our society, in business, law enforcement, the military, education, lawyers and scientists, and loyal citizens of this nation
- Cruz and Trump are definitely engaging in playing the RACE CARD and are talking about policing by and large, people of color
- Any vote for Trump and Cruz is a vote for fascism, racism, and xenophobia, which may lead pogroms and deprivation of the citizens’ rights of Muslim Americans. We all know what happened to the Jews, gays, and others who did not fit the Aryan model of perfection.
Therefore, we call upon the Monroe County Republican Committee and the New York State Republican Committee to denounce both Donald Trump and Ted Cruz.
Also we call upon the members of the faith community to stand in solidarity with our American-Muslim brothers and sisters who through fear may be racially profiled and deprived of their civil rights.
For further information, please contact Rev. Stewart at the UCLM office.